Complaints & Grievances

Students who feel their rights as a student have been violated by an instructor or staff member should first attempt in good faith to resolve the matter with the source of the complaint, prior to filing a report. If the student is dissatisfied with the outcome of this meeting, they may discuss their complaint with the Ombudsperson, then file the report. If a resolution is not reached, the process may continue with the informal complaint turning into a formal grievance to be addressed by the appropriate Dean/Supervising Administrator. Click here for the full procedure (Board Procedure 8.2.2P). 

Email Ombudsperson to discuss next steps before filing a report

Sexual Misconduct and Discrimination

Complaints involving sexual harassment, race discrimination, sex discrimination and discrimination against those with disabilities, should contact the Vice President of Human Resources Office at (707) 527-4954. Additionally, reports may be made at:

Reports of complaints of discrimination that proceed to investigation will be investigated by a person knowledgeable about discrimination matters and the investigation process will include, at a minimum, interviewing the complainant, other relevant witnesses, and gathering pertinent documentation. Complaints of discrimination, including harassment, are to be handled pursuant to the College's revised discrimination complaint procedure (2.7/2.7P) and not under the general grievance procedure (8.2.2/8.2.2P).

Financial Aid Appeals

Student appeals relating to Financial Aid decisions, rules and regulations should contact the Student Financial Services office in order to initiate the Financial Aid appeal process which follows established guidelines. The phone number is (707) 527-4471.

The Ombudsperson Role: Impartial Assistance and Consultation

For support and advice on the complaint/grievance process, a student may consult an Ombudsperson.  

For the Santa Rosa Campus and other sites excluding Petaluma contact:

Hilleary Zarate, Student Support
Plover Hall, Room 553
(707) 527-4239 or

For the Petaluma Campus contact:

Deb Ziccone, Manager, Student Support Services, Petaluma Campus
Student Affairs Office, Richard Call Hall, Room 608
(707) 778-3637 or

Board Policies and Procedures

Click here for the full procedure (Board Procedure 8.2.2P). The procedure is the same for complaints about academic matters including grades and curriculum.

File a Report

Further Information

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are obligated to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

Questions or comments about this page may be directed to